AltScene
EliteSingles.com

Name My Daughter

Name My Daughter

Grumman Created Apr 17, 2024 22:00
26 Comments

As many of you know, my wife and I are expecting a little girl late this summer. We’ve kicked a few names around but haven’t done a big deep dive into the pool of girls’ names yet. I want something unique, maybe even Nordic, my wife has other considerations motivating her. What are some cool girl names?

And yes, I know this thread will likely go off the rails and produce a lot of crazy names but I don’t mind hearing those too. Have fun with it 😎

This topic has 26 comments

πŸ§œπŸ»β€β™€οΈ_Siren _πŸ§œπŸ»β€β™€οΈ

Apr 17, 2024 22:12

Aine - Irish for "radiance."
Akasha - Indian for "spiritual essence."
Amber - Latin for "jewel." After the healing calming gemstone. Many believe it absorbs negative energy.
Amethyst - Greek for "intoxicate." A crystal gemstone with healing properties for dreams, love, courage, and happiness.
Aradia - After the Tuscan moon divinity.
Astra - Latin for "star" or "starlike."
Athena - After the Greek goddess of wisdom, handicraft, and warfare.
Aura - Latin for "breath, wind."
Aurora - Latin for "dawn."
Autumn - After the season.
Branwen - Welsh for "beautiful."
Ceridwen - Welsh, a white witch or goddess of poetry, inspiration, and the cauldron of transfiguration.
Demeter - Greek, after the goddess of the harvest.
Emerald - English for "green gemstone." Healing properties include enhanced clarity and memory; this stone represents love and romance.
Fay (or Fae) - French name meaning "fairy."
Freya - Norse meaning "lady."
Gaia - After the original mother of life in Greek mythology, this name means "earth."
Glinda - Welsh for "fair" or "good."
Grian - After the Gaelic sun goddess.
Iris - Greek meaning "rainbow," after the goddess who sent messages across the rainbow bridge.
Litha - Celtic after the summer solstice or midsummer festival.
Luna - After the moon goddess in Roman mythology, this name is Latin for "moon."
Mabon - Welsh for "divine son."
Maeve - Irish for "intoxicating effect on others."
Mantra - Hindu for "hymns" or "holy chants."
Medea - Greek for "cunning," after the sorceress and princess in mythology.
Nimue - Welsh, after the ruler of Avalon in Lady of the Lake, the Arthurian legend.
Opal - After the rainbow gemstone that is the birthstone of October. Sanskrit for "jewel."
Ostara - Anglo-Saxon and Germanic, after the goddess of spring.
Persephone - Greek for "bringer of death," after Zeus and Demeter's daughter in Greek Mythology.
Rosemary - Latin for "dew of the sea." A popular Pagan protection herb.
Rowan (or Rowena) - Irish for "red-haired."
Ruby - Latin for "red precious stone." A protective stone in Paganism that brings wealth, power, and joy.
Rune - Gender-neutral German name meaning "secret."
Saffron - English for "yellow flower." This type of crocus, blooms in the fall, and is part of Minoan mythology.

Apr 17, 2024 22:18

I have my mother's middle name ...
It's kinda a tradition to pass it down in the girls side so maybe your wife might like to pass on hers then maybe you're daughter could carry on the tradition

Grumman

Apr 17, 2024 23:11

Yeah, we are passing down her mother’s name as our daughter’s middle name. She’s also going to have my wife’s last name because mine is not great and everything goes well with hers.

Neon Bright Star ⭐

Apr 18, 2024 01:59

Grummalina

Honestly I like the name you DMed me earlier or Astrid which means "star" I believe

hcn

Apr 18, 2024 04:28

Mom
Death
Clean your room
Winston
Asebeia
Arctica (nordic enough?)
Siberia (while we're at it)
L
Antikythera
Sanguinaria
Akpatok (Akimiski is nice as well)
Plague
MAGA
Microsoft
Turnstile

Apr 18, 2024 08:23

Yeah that name is in the list I sent on the first comment

Thrones

Apr 18, 2024 08:23

Thrones

Grumman

Apr 18, 2024 12:36

Thrones Jones? πŸ˜‚

Neon Bright Star ⭐

Apr 18, 2024 13:11

Off topic but Davey self deleted. I guess everyone ignoring him/blocking him ruined his fun

Grumman

Apr 18, 2024 13:16

Names I think are cool or interesting that I’m pretty sure my wife will never go for:

Astri (star)
Atti (beautiful goddess)
Brynja (armor)
Fjola (flower)
Freyja (she actually kinda likes this one too)
Kaia (pure)
Lysande (brilliant or shining in Swedish)
Akleja (columbine in Swedish)
Akelei (columbine in German)

The columbine is Colorado’s state flower btw.

Grumman

Apr 18, 2024 14:13

HCN, I actually sort of like the name Antikythera, but there’s no way in hell that one wins out πŸ˜…

K

Apr 18, 2024 14:36

Grumwoman

WalterLuigi

Apr 18, 2024 14:53

Fourth for Astri, Astrid, or Astra

Second on Aurora

Thrones

Apr 18, 2024 15:06

What about Isla?

Looney

Apr 18, 2024 21:51

Aurora, Freja, and Kysa were my favorite I heard on tour in Norway that I can remember, if you're trying to stick to Nordic. If your wife doesn't want anything too weird, there's a lot of "American" names with nordic spelling like Aleksandra.

Grumman

Apr 19, 2024 02:21

Freya / Freyja / Freja is the early front runner, which makes me happy. From the moment I first saw it, it really resonated with me and just sounds pretty. I think it’s a name that can age well as she grows up too.

Looney

Apr 19, 2024 06:53

Aw yay! It really is a beautiful name. Is your wife on board with it as a front runner?

Apr 19, 2024 09:33

Congratulations!

Grumman

Apr 19, 2024 14:24

Thank you πŸ™πŸ»

And yeah, she likes it way more than any of my other name ideas, lol. I think she’s more concerned with making sure the middle name is her mom’s first name and I’m obviously 100% on board with that.

K

Apr 19, 2024 15:38

Nordic names ftw πŸ’ͺ🏻

lokiinlove

Apr 19, 2024 23:00

Freya would be especially suitable if they're born on a Friday

Apr 19, 2024 23:57

Meya means beloved

Astra I think it means gods beautiful or something similar

Apr 20, 2024 00:07

Astrid is derived from the name Ástríðr, which is made up of the Old Norse elements that mean "god" and "beautiful." Astrid has been a Scandinavian royal name since the tenth century

* Autocorrect on the first comment 🀣

Apr 20, 2024 00:08

Meaning:beloved.
Meya is a girl's name of Scandinavian origin.
A diminutive of Maria, it means "beloved," making it a favorable choice for your precious daughter

Flyxglitter

Apr 21, 2024 00:53

Congratulations! Children are such a blessing. I hope the safest and fast delivery for baby girl.

Leave comment...

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in or register.