AltScene
EliteSingles.com

The Sosh Meeds

The Sosh Meeds

Grumman Created Apr 11, 2024 01:48
23 Comments

Social media. I think we’re all awakening to varying degrees to just how destructive they can be to society and potentially our personal relationships as well.

What is your opinion of how harmful they are or aren’t, and to what degree do you engage with any of the numerous platforms?

This topic has 29 comments

No Photo

Deleted User

Apr 11, 2024 02:01

I don't. I have an old FB account for a side business. Probably been a year at least since I've been on it. No posts, nothing. This is my only social media of any kind and I like it that way.

Grumman

Apr 11, 2024 02:21

Smart man. I’ve learned the hard way how easy it is to get sucked into the world of suddenly chasing the affirmation of likes and comments as well as just how much time it is possible to waste arguing with strangers about stupid shït.

No Photo

Deleted User

Apr 11, 2024 02:28

Exactly..

No Photo

Deleted User

Apr 11, 2024 02:59

Was just about to make a post about this....

Was thinking to going back to 100% street level word of mouth. It's much better and real that way. Real life connections are important.

Ranger Pariah

Apr 11, 2024 03:17

I keep this place at altscene.com. I have a barely used and probably to some a very discarded instagram, with not much more than myself at the fireing range. I havebabdiscord for those matter to me. when s**t hits the fan on Izonzo (A WWI Italian front 1st person shooter) I'm there. Beyond that, those that matter to me know how to reach me at my actual address. I like it that way.

Ranger Pariah

Apr 11, 2024 03:32

Grumman. What happened in your life recently that made you ask such a question? If I may ask that is....although I suppose I already asked said question.

No Photo

Deleted User

Apr 11, 2024 04:03

Some of us want the world to change for the better. It never will.

Ranger Pariah

Apr 11, 2024 04:09

Cool story bro...you make your own destiny of s**t then. Life is what you make of it then.

Amaryllis95

Apr 11, 2024 04:18

I agree that social media, & you can even throw in cell phones for that matter have ruined the way we communicate. We've become too busy chasing affirmation & arguing with strangers that we forgot how to have simple conversations with people

lokiinlove

Apr 11, 2024 07:49

I don't take social media seriously, and I don't post whatever the latest group think is

Life is too short, saying that certain sites do having interesting discussions

Meanwhile I'm happy to observe from a distance, whilst the world burns

Thrones

Apr 11, 2024 09:55

Same as Loki really I dont take it too seriously. I do delete my facebook every so often if I feel like I am scrolling too much and procrastinating just to get myself out the habit. I do find it handy for news for football/hockey and general stuff. But I tend to ignore comments mostly. If I want serious discussion I tend to head to old school forums rather than social media.

I do think though it can be dangerous, I was sort of the last generation that never really grew up with smart phone/social media so its not as a big a deal for me but people have it from young age now. Basically just use all of it for the positives it brings and beware of the pitfalls.

Anthony55

Apr 11, 2024 11:07

We are in the new world order . 21st century social media is a most were not in the primitive world

WalterLuigi

Apr 11, 2024 15:31

I mostly just share memes on social media.

But tbh I have a mostly hate relationship for it.
Pros:
Makes staying connected easy.
Makes spread of ideas easy.

Cons:
It leads to people being disengaged from others and isolating rather than having meaningful relationships.
It feeds into narcissism and dopamine addiction.
Hurts mental health in a variety of ways.
Is largely a massive waste of time.
Makes the spread of misinformation trivial and gives even the most brain dead ideas a platform to spread easily.
Makes shutting down said ideas damn near impossible.
Helps facilitate online disinhibitation effect which causes others to bully and abuse others with little remorse.
Etc

Grumman

Apr 11, 2024 16:04

My thoughts exactly, Walt.

My reasons for feeling this way personally are that I’ve started to realize how much time social media wastes and I don’t have the time. I need to be reading or writing for school instead, but I have been known to procrastinate on social media and cause myself more stress than necessary. I deleted Snapchat about a year ago because I didn’t really use it anyway, deleted my Instagram account about a month ago, and am now figuring out how to download all my photos from Facebook so I can get rid of that too. I do have some trepidation over losing contact with my extended family and friends, but I consider that I was able to survive just fine without it for my entire life prior.

Thrones

Apr 11, 2024 19:24

You can get rid of the FB/profile app but keep the messenger so you can still speak to your extended family.

lokiinlove

Apr 11, 2024 19:29

Conspiracy theorists can get a big audience now, like the nutty woman who thought the solar eclipse was because of global warming

Grumman

Apr 11, 2024 19:30

I may do that.

Amaryllis95

Apr 11, 2024 19:54

I mainly use social media now for memes & to see if any concerts are coming around

Neon Bright Star ⭐

Apr 11, 2024 20:31

I only really use 3 social media accounts which are this site, Facebook, and Instagram. I have Snapchat and threads but I don't go on them much (sorry Siren, I know you sent me a snap ages ago! 😅🤣)

I haven't been using Instagram much beyond texting because it makes me feel bad about myself in a way that Facebook doesn't. I think Facebook is often less curated, at least by physical attractiveness standards, than Instagram. I am aware people heavily use filters but damn I just don't feel like I compare to the women on there, younger and slimmer, it's hard on my confidence sometimes.

🧜🏻‍♀️_Siren _🧜🏻‍♀️

Apr 11, 2024 20:34

It's fine I rarely use my snap either ,I actually forgot we was talking there so if you did reply my bad 🤣🤣😘

Neon Bright Star ⭐

Apr 11, 2024 20:37

I'll shoot you a message at some point, I promise! 😘

🧜🏻‍♀️_Siren _🧜🏻‍♀️

Apr 11, 2024 20:40

Send n*des 😂😂😂😂

🧜🏻‍♀️_Siren _🧜🏻‍♀️

Apr 11, 2024 20:41

I'm joking 🙈

Grumman

Apr 11, 2024 22:31

Yeah that’s the other atrocious thing about instagram, just the endless posing and posturing. It has turned its users into weird, attention-seeking narcissists. And the algorithm feeds you all the shït you know you don’t really want or need to see but that it knows will keep you on the platform. Once you notice it working on your brain, it’s hard not to think of it as exploitative and cynical.

No Photo

Deleted User

Apr 12, 2024 04:00

2024: Social media has become an extremely toxic place for parents to exploit their children, for whatever reasons I will not understand. It has also become a place for prostitution.

It's not about the music anymore man. Unless it's a garbage hip hop song.

Join my revolution, let's attack the owners of Facebook, instagram, tiktok. Let's get them.

Gadget

Apr 12, 2024 05:19

They've made it to where you can't even add people you don't know on Facebook so I'm just like whevs.

Gadget

Apr 12, 2024 05:23

I dunno how to use instagram or any of the other stuff. Every dating app has a pay wall now. Like, every single one. Even "Native American Singles"... Yeah... Even that one.

No Photo

Deleted User

Apr 13, 2024 02:31

I get 500 friend requests from South Americans, but I'm not allowed to add my own sisters. What does that say about Facebook?

Mr Beelzeebubbles

Apr 16, 2024 21:09

I just have FB, basically. Keeps me in touch with friends back in Oz and in the UK as I've moved around a bit. I've got some pleasant little pages of fellow travellers that I enjoy, and I must admit to spending a bit of time taking the piss out of the MAGAts, the Gammons and other trollish mouth-breathers. They're so easy and fun, they're like a clockwork toy dog. A couple of twists of the key and off they go, yap-yap-yapping away.

Oh, and I use FB and YouTube for band promo stuff as well.

Leave comment...

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in or register.