AltScene
EliteSingles.com
EliteSingles.com

The catch 22 with acceptance and mental issues

The catch 22 with acceptance and mental issues

Darkhorse1215 Created Apr 22, 2024 12:15
11 Comments

Has anyone else faced situations where your own experiences with mental health and trauma have led you to be very understanding and accepting of others, but then when trying to connect to others who are kind also of broken, you inevitably and unintentionally push the wrong button, and they suddenly flip to being very unaccepting of you?

This topic has 12 comments

Flyxglitter

Apr 22, 2024 13:16

Sort of, I'm bipolar and sometimes I don't know when to stop talking even though I'm joking.

Psychopatrish

Apr 22, 2024 15:03

Been binging Baby Reindeer have we?

WalterLuigi

Apr 22, 2024 15:13

Yeah, that can especially happen if you trigger someone or if they have any sort of personality disorder that results in splitting.

Darkhorse1215

Apr 22, 2024 22:05

It would be nice if my inspiration to write that came from watching a TV series. Sadly, it comes from life.

Darkhorse1215

Apr 22, 2024 22:08

While maybe there's things to learn about how we can approach situations, I think that isn't the main lesson. I think the main lesson for me is to not beat myself up with regret when that happens, because with such people, it's not a matter of if you say the wrong thing, but when.

Psychopatrish

Apr 22, 2024 23:14

Baby Reindeer is a reflection of real life, based on a true story. Most powerful art does, yes?

Quite a compelling commentary on your very post subject matter, oddly enough.

Darkhorse1215

Apr 22, 2024 23:25

True. Maybe I'll give it a watch.

Grumman

Apr 23, 2024 01:48

Is that the one about the woman who stalks the comedian? I think I’ve seen the trailer recently.

Darkhorse1215

Apr 23, 2024 04:37

Maybe I've been operating largely from a mistaken assumption. Based on my experiences and observation pursing certain spiritual and philosophical interests, I've seen a lot of "toxic positivity". Many people who consider themselves positive, stable, healed, etc. being rather cold and uninterested in forming a relationship with someone who is still working through a lot of stuff. They just don't want to be the one giving a bit of a hand up, they see it as a burden, despite someone's redeeming qualities. Such people come off as very aloof and judgmental. If you haven't achieved a certain amount of perfection on your own, they won't give you the time of day. They smell the first hint of perceived weakness, they run.

Based on that, I assume that maybe someone who is also still working through a lot of issues would be more understanding, loyal, and thankful for support. That they'd make a better partner or even just a better friend. What often happens is that their issues surface in such a way that it's the opposite. They are fickle, finicky, avoidant, and often act in ways that sabotage themselves and others in terms of interpersonal relationships. Maybe I'll have to come to a new understanding of such things, but I don't quite know what that is yet.

Theeoldways37

Apr 23, 2024 09:12

I accept my one and only friend who reminds me of... ( I've checked he's not) a lady killer. And he accepts me as a complete ( whatever it is, it isn't pretty) woman who has superficial charm and really shouldn't have pets. Together we became that odd couple who lives in the apartment and look like they would invite you in for tea and cake and then you would rent the spare room...forever.

Rocklobster14

Apr 23, 2024 09:13

Many times...but that's part of the acceptance
Trying to help people doesn't always work and sometimes provokes reactions you're not expecting
In my experience...it usually means they are in need of more help, patience and understanding thean you thought.

I work in dementia care which is an incredibly humbling experience.
No matter how hurt, broken or tired my brain feels...it ain't ever gonna compare to what they're going through
It is the epitome of helping people that don't necessarily want or receive your help easily hahahaha

No Photo

Deleted User

Apr 23, 2024 16:44

Just pretend like you don't have mental issues. Maybe they'll go away.

Leave comment...

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in or register.